Think about it for a second. You know I’m right.
(And yes, I halfway stole that from last night’s episode of How I Met Your Mother. Exact quote: “[Cleveland] is the city equivalent of being slapped in the face.”)
But it’s a necessary slap in the face. Like Mondays. Or bank balance notifications.
So to keep from from falling into the “January blues,” I’ve decided to make a “happy list” of all the positive things that have happened to me during January. Because this is how I cope when my brownie pan is occupied and therefore unavailable for making more brownies. And also I love lists.
- Reunion dinner/movie date with the always-adorable Shea. I don’t give that girl enough credit for how much joy-tempered realism she brings to my life.
- I finally figured out how to fix tea in a way that I enjoy. I feel like this is a major adulthood accomplishment (no movement on the coffee-drinking front).
- The roommate provided our kitchen with a George Foreman Lean Mean Fat-Reducing Grilling Machine. So now not only can we make turkey-feta burgers and lemon-garlic chicken on the countertop, but I also get to say George Foreman Lean Mean Fat-Reducing Grilling Machine with much more frequency.
- I’ve realized that reading through the Bible in the year is so much more awesome when you’ve got an ESV Study Bible. To say that the footnotes are fascinating would be an understatement.
- Got to spend a Sunday afternoon talking about books and exploring Toys ‘R Us with one of my out-of-town favorites (who just needs to go ahead and move to Birmingham already).
- Finally made it to Alabama Biscuit Co. If you live in the Birmingham area and haven’t gone, DO IT NOW.
- I’ve already finished my first book of the year (The Night Circus by Eric Morganstern), and I’m already halfway through my second (Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn). And I’ve got five more books just waiting to be devoured.
- I re-fell in love with Kerrigan & Lowdermilk’s “Run Away With Me,” which you should listen to right now because it’s beautiful and gorgeous and I’ve been playing it non-stop for a week (Take your pick of versions: Jeremy Jordan, Aaron Tveit, Michael Arden)
- Spent quality bonding time with roommate by watching the entirety of the Golden Globes in pajamas eating soup and commiserating over our stuffy noses.
- EDIT: I previously forgot to mention the fact that there is now a STEAK N SHAKE in the Birmingham area, and Megan and I recently took our inaugural trip there last week. I have no idea how I forgot to mention this glorious happening, but I am now making amends (under penalty of public shaming from Megan).
- Last, but certainly not least, I churned out some creative writing for the first time in years. It’s not substantial, and I can’t say it’s really any good, but it just feels so good to write again.
I won’t say this January is going to go down as my all-time fave (that honor belongs to January 2012, the month of the Exhilarating European Extravaganza), but it hasn’t been all that shabby, either.
Now if any of you can help me with a clever way to end this blog post, I’d be much obliged. Thanks.