before i leave

8:04 AM, 19 May 2013

I am approximately an hour from turning in my dorm room keys. My room is packed and cleaned, back to looking like your ordinary, run-of-the-mill residence hall room.

Image

It’s one of the most depressing sights in the world.

8:09 AM, 19 May 2013

I am officially an alumna of Samford University, Class of 2013. In 6-8 weeks, I will receive my diploma in the mail- my Bachelor of Arts in Journalism & Mass Communication [Broadcast & Electronic Journalism].

A professor told us jokingly a few days ago that we don’t officially graduate until we get our diploma in the mail.

A part of me wants the post office to lose mine.

8:12 AM, 19 May 2013

I spent my last night at Samford in a way that was typical of my college experience: a group of friends going to dinner, playing cards, and just generally being with one another. Nothing big, nothing fancy, just normal everyday things with people I love dearly.

I couldn’t have asked for a better ending.

8:15 AM, 19 May 2013

I said goodbye to some very special people last night.

Some I am guaranteed to see again (three cheers for friends getting married and giving us a mini-reunion opportunity).

But for others, I am not sure when our paths will cross again.

I cried a lot last night.

8:18 AM, 19 May 2013

I hugged him the longest. My very good friend.

Talking to him was always the most cathartic experience. He understood my need for friend time, that I occasionally needed to lay all my emotions out on the table. And he listened. To all of them.

What a gem he is.

That boy. I am so proud of him. So proud of how much we’ve both grown since that meeting in the caf freshman year. So proud of our friendship.

We both cried when we said goodbye last night. Me and my very, very good friend.

8:22 AM, 19 May 2013

I am approximately one week and one day from boarding a plane to Washington D.C. to begin my fellowship at The Washington Post.

I’m so excited. Nervous, but excited.

Who knows, I might even make the move permanent.

8:26 AM, 19 May 2013

I am officially an alumna of Samford University, Class of 2013. In my wildest dreams I couldn’t imagine a better college experience. I was taught, pushed, broken, grown, encouraged, and, most of all, I was loved.

I spent four years surrounded by the most incredible people with the most incredible stories and the most incredible, open hearts. It was community in the truest sense of the word.

The Lord had His hand fully over my college decision. He brought me to the best university on earth, and I will be blessed every day of my life from here on out because of it.

For God, For Learning, Forever.

Bow wow Bulldogs.

Samford_University_Reid_Chapel

Advertisements

One thought on “before i leave